29 August 2013

Paris, day 1: 1st June 2013.

As promised, i am going to post about our trip to PARIS, a day at a time.

The first day was rough. My normally good flyer (airline passenger??) was completely distracted by my desire to watch movies and refused to sleep until i turned the TV off. Of course the best flight to Paris from RDU is the direct flight through Charlotte overnight. We left CLT around 430  or 5pm and arrived at CDG around 630am. But what do i know? It was early and I probably got around 1 hour of broken sleep. Sloan got about 3 hours. But we made it!
Papa  had been in Switzerland for work and met us at the airport. fortunately we were able to go to his hotel for a shower and nap. Well at least one of us napped in the hotel (ahem MOM). I don't really take naps well.
We then took a very expensive TAXI to our apartment. Sloan was kind enough to take a nap for us
We stayed in a nice 2 bedroom apartment on Temple Square in the third arrondissement. Here is the view from our apartment window.  On the weekends there is a regular flea market. We had a lot of fun on Sunday walking through the tents. I would have loved to purchase some furniture, but perhaps if i moved to paris I could do just that. ;)
We made reservations for a Seine River cruise to tour the major sites and rest after our long journey. We had nothing else planned for the day.  On the way to the Seine, we stopped for lunch and had Fish n' Chips at a little pub. In true Parisian fashion, we ate at the tables outside. It was very good food.
On the way to the Seine, we passed the Paris "city hall" so to speak. And they had fake clay courts set up since the French Open (Roland Garros) was going on.
Finally we made it down the LONG road on Ile de la Cite to the "cruise" ship. really it is just a boat tour to the statue of liberty and back. 
On the boat Sloan was a bit sleepy. The cool air and the soothing motion of the boat were mesmerizing. I myself was quite lethargic. Sloan picked out her own seat and that is where she sat. I did manage to move her once to get a photo of she and Papa.

But for the most part, she picked out her seat and this is where she sat. And she LOVED it.

If you plan to go on a Seine river boat tour, book your reservations ahead of time. There was a long queue to get tickets, which we, fortunately were able to bypass and hop right on the boat. By doing so, we avoided a 60 minute wait for the next tour as they run a tight schedule.

Here are some of the things we saw on the cruise.
The Eiffel Tower as Sloan pointed out.

The Pont Alexandre III bridge connecting Champs Elysees to Invalides

and following it, Pont Invalides
The original statue of liberty with the Eiffel tower in the background.
Needless the say, the boat made us very tired and our jetlagged eyes were dry and red from being open for so long.

Since we went without the stroller, we carried a teddy bear backpack with a long tail to keep a certain person out of the busy streets! Aren't we so civilized? 

The rest of the day is a bit of a blur but i believe that we went straight to bed shortly after this. We did have dinner in the apartment. The beauty of this day is that Sloan slept until 10 AM the next day! It was a wonderful first day in Paris. I hope to share more of our journey in days to follow. 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I can't wait to read about the rest of your trip.