17 April 2013

Potty Trained (mostly) !

I wrote this last week and never posted it, so i edited it the best i could to reflect where we are in our potty training. We are presently not using diapers except for bedtime, and do not have to follow sloan around wondering if she has to go potty. She tells us when she has to go, and in adequate time!


Honestly, I think Sloan deserves a gold medal. After a successful Easter Sunday, we sent Sloan to school with panties. She wasn't ready (unfamiliar potty) and ended up in a diaper by lunchtime. I wasn't ready to give up just yet. I skimmed a 40 page document called, Three day potty training, or something to that effect. I didn't WANT to stay bound to the house for three whole days, plus Sloan was getting the hang of it, so here is what i did.

I took some pointers from the book (some of which i was already doing). Rather than asking sloan "Do you need to go potty" I gave her more control "Let me know if you need to go potty ok?", "Sloan don't forget to tell me if you have to go potty"  I had to become a broken record.   I got rid of the absorb-able training pants (keeps the kid feeling too dry, she needed to feel the pee run down her leg a few times and that it was YUCK!)  I offered rewards ( i have a drawer full of stickers, small happy-meal-esque toys, bubbles, etc) and we gave her TONS of praise. Rick did the PEE-PEE dance. We did NOT throw away all of our diapers as the book suggested or let her sleep in underwear. We did not spend three days at home - we lived life and showed up prepared for anything. I have mickey mouse underwear in my purse AND a change of pants, just in case.

Potty training went in effect as soon as we got home from school until bed time, and then as soon as she woke up until I sent her to school. Tuesday and Wednesday following Easter Sunday went extremely well for us. She had a few accidents on Tuesday while saying POTTY POTTY but was able to finish in the toilet. By Wednesday, she was running INTO the bathroom while saying POTTY POTTY. She knew where to go when she had to go. The only accident on that day was due to my not being able to meet her in the bathroom in time as she stood on the stool waiting for me to come help her. Since she is so small, one caveat of early potty training is that she has trouble pulling her pants down and getting herself on the potty. The smaller potty is up in our bathroom.

Potty training doesn't officially start at her school until the next class, which she will enter AFTER the age of TWO!  That is FOUR THREE MORE MONTHS and I knew I didn't want to wait that long and miss this beautiful window! I am so grateful her current teachers are so willing to support our efforts.

As I have already stated, the downside to potty training so early, is that she can't quite get her pants off and herself seated on the potty cover, even with the stool.  Thursday EARLY morning (like 3am), sloan woke up calling out for me, and we sat her on the potty, she went, then back to bed. She stayed dry all night. I sent her to school in underwear on Thursday and she stayed dry ALL DAY! i stuck around long enough to show her the potty, repeat some lingo "Don't forget to tell Miss Bridget/Sheila if you have to go potty" and I even showed her that I wasn't afraid to go (sitting on top pretending to go). Result: She was dry all day Thursday. Friday the 5th was another story, BUT she was able to finish on the potty, just didn't quite start out there.

When I picked Sloan up from school on Friday (Rick had to do some important stuff so their typical day was cancelled) i was told she had a "so-so" day in PT, but she had partial success and they kept her out of a diaper.  We went to meet Rick at a new Mexican restaurant, and I was very nervous about taking her in public in underwear. As soon as we arrived, I took her to the potty (thank goodness for a brand new, CLEAN restaurant!) And she went!

Saturday we went for a LONG family bike ride with a picnic and a trip to the playground. Rick carried the baby, a heavy backpack, and the dog. I kept up. What amazing endurance this man has! I realized how out of shape i was!


Sloan's favorite slide:




Still no accidents. We grew more and more confident at this point. Sloan was telling us when she had to go, and even sometimes she would give us false alarms (Hey, better safe than sorry, though secretly I think she liked LOVED the hand  dryer at COSTCO...) You've seen this one right?  

For the past two Sundays we  have gone to church and still no accidents. We went swimming and she was able to go in the potty and not the pool, Something I think some adults still struggle with!

We are thrilled for Sloan's progress in staying dry all day both at school and home, and for the most part, at night. We fully expect there to be accidents from time to time, but she has amazed us with her ability to take a skill and run with it. We are so proud of her, though part of me is a bit sad. My baby girl has grown up just a little more this week.

Last week we took a day trip to the beach. Sloan held it the ENTIRE way to Wilmington! I was amazed. 150 miles of bladder control. Of course Sloan, who seldom rides in the car for longer than 10 minutes, realized that if she said she had to go potty, we would let her out and she would get to run around. I finally diapered her due to so many false alarms (we HAD to get to the beach) And we did! Dry! She stayed dry all the way home too! I am so impressed!


Potty training is exhausting! It really is a full commitment  We can no longer throw a diaper on Sloan and say, just go in the diaper. WE can't be lazy about it. When she has to go, even with a diaper on, she wants to go on the potty. I have to be able to drop what i am doing and meet her at the potty. Fortunately she has learned to hold it until I can get there. She has learned to go to the bathroom and wait, and she has learned (when we are not at home) to say, Potty! I would say she wets a diaper every 5 days at night. Not bad right? We have not had any wet underwear in over a week! We are still working on the timing of bowel movements. That has been tricky, but we feel like she is making progress in that direction and probably has a 50% success rate at home (0% at school). Practice makes perfect.

Trash day was today, and when Rick was emptying out the trashcans he asked where the bag from the diaper pail went... I was confused as to why he expected a bag, and then the light bulb went off for him. After 20 months and 3 weeks of emptying a diaper pail, it sure is nice to get some reprieve.

I guess the next step for Sloan will be getting a big girl room ready! Plans are already in the works!

A year ago:

Now



2 comments:

  1. That's awesome that she's doing so well!! And good for you for making the commitment to help her along the way. I don't think Chloe is close to being ready, and with a new baby coming soon, that's just one less thing I am motivated to work on right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Sloan! I need to take some tips from your mommy! :) way to go!

    ReplyDelete