11 December 2012

Ginger Salad Dressing

I had several people ask me about my ginger salad dressing recipe I talked about in a previous post.

Here it is. Simple and Easy to make. Here is what you need

1/2 c. Onion
1/2 c. Oil
1/3 c. Rice Vinegar
2 T ginger Root.
2 T ketchup
1 T soy sauce
2 t lemon juice
1/2 t garlic (raw is best, powder works in a pinch)
salt and pepper to taste

- Get out your blender or food processor. I use my blender. Peel the onion and cut into wedges and toss it in.

I usually take my food processor and dice an entire bag of onions and then freeze into 1/2 c. servings so that I have them on hand when I cook (laying it out in the fridge on a plate the night before to thaw since onions are highly composed of water, they will leave a lot of condensation when they thaw)

 - Once your onion is nice and finely diced, add oil. Personally, I use olive, my sister thinks coconut oil is better for you but i'm not so sure how it would make it taste. Do whatever you want here.

-Next add the ginger root. What you will need to do is peel the ginger. I use a vegetable peeler. I then cut the ginger into little pieces and toss it in. You can vary the amount of ginger, more is better.

-Add garlic. I usually use my food chopper and finely dice the garlic before adding it, but if your blender or food processor is awesome like mine, you won't need to.

-Finally add the soy sauce, ketchup, lemon juice (helps it to stay fresh or something), salt and pepper.

I honestly don't measure the ingredients anymore, and i typically leave out the salt and pepper. I just look at it as it mixes together in my blender and try to make it that pretty orange color you get at the sushi bar. You can play around with the recipe to your liking, just taste it as you go.

 Too oniony? Add more oil and ginger.
Too much ginger? NONSENSE!

I put mine in a mason jar and store in the fridge. One jar typically lasts me a week. This (to me) seems to be a very healthy, all natural (depending on your soy sauce and ketchup brands), recipe.  I also consider that I could use tomato instead of ketchup, but have yet to get to trying it that way. Sometimes I add vegetables to it, like celery, or zucchini or even carrots, As long as your pulverize them into a paste it will not ruin the texture.  Happy Blending! Pour on Spinach, Kale, or anything you want!


Let me know how it turns out for you or if you have an adaptation.

[side note: The original recipe calls for peanut oil but i have been told this is VERY bad for you. Grape seed Oil is also a good alternative. I am not going to tell you which oil to use, but I would try to stay away from generic cooking oils like canola oil, as they are the worst to use probably. Cold Pressed Olive oil is a good choice. ]

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Jenn. I love ginger dressing and look forward to trying this out!

    ReplyDelete