04 September 2012

Another year has passed me by



Last week was my birthday. It's funny. I used to do this fun countdown and the festivities were always something to look forward to, enter Sloan, everything changed. Sure my birthday was great, but things are just different now. Last year we sold our house and bought our new home for my birthday. This year, I nearly forgot about it altogether. (just kidding). When Rick got out of bed, he didn't utter a word to me. Did he forget too? About an hour later, he and Sloan barge through the bedroom door singing happy birthday and presenting breakfast in bed! That was more like it!

When i got to work, our receptionist whom i'm quite fond of, handed me two mini cupcakes and a card. Inside the card, Two movie tickets and a promise to babysit Sloan so that Rick and I could get away to a movie! She is probably the most thoughtful receptionist I've ever known, and I have liked them all, just not as much as i like Jan! The card she gave me also was filled with little stars and confetti - so my purse is also full of these glittery little things :)

We had an incredibly busy weekend. We had two birthday parties to attend, as well as a wedding, and I had to volunteer in the nursery at church on Sunday. To top it off I had a sinus infection and took Friday off from work to rest, except resting at home doesn't really happen for me. If you look closely, you will see Rick and myself behind the couple. I am in a floral dress and nice yellow wedge sandals! Congrats Karl and Julie!!

By Monday, I was finally tired enough to take a nap and as soon as i fell asleep, Sloan woke from her nap. I'd seriously like another 13 week maternity leave, only, without the newborn.  One of the reasons i ALMOST went into Education rather than Industry, was to get the coveted summer vacation every year for the rest of my life. The reason that i didn't pursue that, was that a starting salary with an advanced decree in Applied Math or Statistics was promised to be more than double the starting salary of a teacher, based on National Averages. Do i work double the hours of a teacher in a given week? Not likely. Nor do i have the headaches of dealing with parents and students, continuing education, forming assignments, tests, and the like. I don't grade homework, i don't grade tests, and I work my allotted work week, and most of the time, do not deviate from that, though life before children, i definitely pulled in many 50 hour weeks for "fun".   I still get four weeks off a year and most of the big holidays as well as unlimited sick days and a 12 week maternity leave, all paid.  I also only work a 7 hour day, and my hours are about as flexible as you can imagine which has both an upside and a downside. With children, I now have to be less flexible since she needs to keep to a routine and get to school "on time". No more sleeping until 10 and sauntering into the office around 11. I think once she starts elementary school, my schedule will be even more rigid, BUT i don't have to leave my house until 5 minutes before i need to be at work and as a toddler, her "on time" is really just a theoretical concept. She won't be penalized for coming to class at 930 every day. She just might miss out on an extra half hour playground time, or something but we get that extra half hour to play at home, in the front yard, or inside.  I am so grateful we picked our house versus the nearly identical home 10 miles away. Ten miles doesn't seem like much, but every minute spent in the car, even with the child, is time lost and when you calculate stop lights and traffic, that can add up to about a half hour each way! We spend at most 15 minutes a day in the car!

We checked out the things blooming in our yard this weekend. Sloan is very hands on and probably ate a good share of dirt. That's ok. Sloan is a lot like her mama, a tomboy in a dress :)






   


   









I spend my weekends cooking, cleaning, repurposing furniture, hanging wall decor (we are still getting settled into our new home - hey it's only been one hectic year!), decluttering (this is an ongoing never ending process), shopping, sewing, crafting, yard work, as well as chasing around our one year old and cleaning up after her, a never ending process as anyone with a toddler at any given time would know. We also just sit around and play. I can't wait for Sloan to be able to sit still for some arts and crafts, and my latest "project" is fashioning our third floor playroom into a more organized center for her toys and my crafting. It's also our "office", but it was formerly a walk up attic, so the wall space for shelving is very limited. I'm working on a design now to figure this room out to maximize its use.

Mama's little nature girl!
 I also use it for my sewing, which i suppose is considered a "craft". Last weekend I made Sloan an OWL. I drew the pattern myself but was a little hasty, and didn't leave enough room for the base -he was supposed to have a pocket to put a baby owl inside. I also just used some scrap thread, so it is by no means fancy, but I think he's kind of cute.Especially for something made on the fly. His backside is a heart shaped butt  - Like i said, his big sister owl will be much better now that I got the cobwebs out of my  machine (i think I used it a few times in July to repair some clothes).




We are really looking forward to the fall. We plan on taking Sloan to her first NCState Football game. She has a cheerleading dress just for the game!  We also purchased her a raincoat since she is officially moving around and will be spending a lot of time outside! She doesn't love it, but she didn't love her shoes at first either and now they're just all right!





This morning Sloan went over to her table and sat down and played with her blocks. She is getting so big! I am thinking of putting up shelves on the wall behind her, and painting a chalkboard on the half wall. Since she tends to eat chalk rather than color with it, i still have a little time to decide, but this is her play area, at the back of the house where we can keep an eye on her. She likely won't be able to play alone in her playroom for another 4 years or so..  We will play it by ear or as Rick would say, we really don't have to decide until Friday. :)


4 comments:

  1. I think your owl turned out pretty great! I love Sloan's raincoat too. We haven't put Jade in hers yet, but I bet it won't be too long before we do... Also love the dress you're wearing in the wedding picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know i can do better on the next one. The raincoat is London Fog and we found it at our local consignment. With hurricane season upon us, we have had so much rain. I'll have to wear the dress again and get a close up pic. I was so excited to get out I forgot to get a picture so had to steal this one from the bride :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a good birthday, minus being sick. She is definitely getting bigger and that table you have for her is really cute. We are in the beginning stages of making our basement into a playroom for Chloe and I have no idea where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that you're so happy :0)

    ReplyDelete