20 September 2012

14 Months and Wide Open!



Sloan is sooooo big (she will lift her arms up to show you how big, like elmo, except  his go out wide and she is saying TOUCHDOWN!). I measured her the other day and think she is about 32” tall. I could be wrong because she is hard to measure, but we will know at the end of next month. She weighs around 22 lbs. I can get her to stand still on the scale sometimes.
She loves banging away in her toy kitchen, singing, playing her musical instruments, sitting at her table and chairs, reading books (she and daddy do this a lot), going for walks,  bouncing on bear, bouncing on the bed, dancing, doing somersaults (with daddy’s help), and driving her car which she has now figured out how to move backwards. She also has a toy fire engine sit on toy that she can scoot forwards . She also uses these toys as “boosters” to climb to hard to reach (mostly forbidden) items.
The other morning I found her walking around with my wedding rings in her hands that she had pulled off my night stand. Thankfully I caught her before it became a frantic game of, “Find Mommy’s Rings”. Her favorite place to put things is in the toilet or trash can, which are tantamount to her. Open lid, place item, close lid. Clap at job well done. Walk away.
As I was showering on Sunday morning, Sloan carried her rubber duck to the toilet, opened up the lid, and just before sending the duck on a new adventure, I was able to plead with her “NO SLOAN!” and she turned, smiled at me, and carried the duck to her basket of toys and gently placed him in. I’m beginning to this this is all a big game to her. She does, however, pick up toilet paper off the bathroom floor and place it in the toilet. Now before you get to speculating about why I have toilet paper strewn about, I’ll tell you. Sloan also plays with toilet paper. We can usually tell her that it is not her work, and she will walk on and do something else, but this toddler has determination! Thirty seconds later, she is back to the paper again, hoping this time it is not forbidden “work”.  And sometimes we do not catch her in time as she unrolls it, creating a long streamer, and then tearing it off. I supposed I would much rather her do this than play with the toilet water (which I have also caught her doing - though not at our house) We have those low flow toilets (great for environmentally conscious people) but the water is just sooo low she has to dive into the toilet to touch it, so far she hasn’t succeeded, and we keep the doors shut so that until she learns to open these, we won’t have to worry about those toilet locks (I hate them!).
Sloan loves animals in theory and is not afraid of dogs at all, but other animals she is pretty terrified of and clings tightly to her mama. I think it is large animals that scare her.  
Wild Bill!
 

 She did manage to pet the shetland ponies next door after our tractor ride

Swinging with Great Papaw!



Sloan says a lot of things, and some of which we can decipher. Newer words are Bubbles. Bye Bye wah wah (to the draining bathtub)-, diaper (Da- Pa), she said my grandma Emma’s name - MMMM-aaahh., she tried to say papaw - Pah-Pah (more of a sound than a word), she says That, This, Baby, Book, and probably other stuff but I just can’t keep up.
Sloan has also peed in the potty three times now! I sit her on the toilet before every bath (about four times now since we started this). She has gone three of the four times. I am not actively potty training, but I’m getting her comfortable with the idea, I think she is pretty dang smart for a 14 month old! I’m not pushing it though, but just taking this baby step is god progress. Sloan brushes her teeth after bath time using her step stool and does a pretty good job brushing (I help a bit).
Our baby girl is a good climber and can now pull herself up on the couch, a chair, and can get just about anywhere. She managed to open her baby Tylenol bottle this morning! Yikes! She can also feed herself with a fork and spoon, drink from a cup, and most importantly she can remove her pants AND diaper! Which is primarily why I have started putting her on the potty since I figure since she is smart enough to take it off, she is smart enough to sit down to business!
On more than one occasion we have found her in her crib completely bottomless!  The last time this happened I had no idea until after holding her for a second I noticed the wet spot first. Go figure, I notice the wet spot in the bed before her bare bottom on my arm! The fun is just getting started!   

Here are some of the wreaths we made a few weeks ago using the hydrangeas in our yard.  These turned out great if i do say so myself and it was so simple. cut flower, insert into grapevine wreath and trim. Done. The flowers are of course not perfectly symmetric, but that's ok. It just makes the wreaths unique! Add a ribbon, hang, good to go!  I'll have to include a hanging pic later !


 Saturday is the first day of fall and with that we are very excited! This morning i saw my breath for the first time ! Fall is by far my favorite season!  Happy end of Summer!


2 comments:

  1. I see potty training in our near future as well... especially since they start practicing it in Jade's next class at school, which begins at 18 months. Fun times!!

    Your wreaths are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's all just a big game to these little ones. I love that she listened to you about the rubber ducky and thought better of sending it for a swim. We aren't quite there yet with Chloe; she likes to look at us, we tell her know, and then she turns around and does it anyway. Sigh...all in time I guess. I can't believe she was able to open her medicine bottle...and climb on the couch? You've got a strong girl!

    ReplyDelete