09 March 2012

Flashback Friday: Disney World 1984

My fellow blogger friend Jenn Holland does "Fur Baby Fridays" where she highlights her pups.  It has inspired me to do a Flashback Friday.  I have been blessed with an amazing memory. Some memories we suppress, and some we conjure up for the nostalgic emotions.

When I was four years old my parents took my sister and I to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. It was so much fun. What kid doesn't want to go do Disney?


I remember the anticipation of going. We borrowed a van from a family friend, i remember drinking juice boxes on the way down and being afraid to spill the juice on the upholstery since it wasn't our car. I think i did spill actually because putting a straw in that box is so dang hard. I remember a few weeks before we were going to leave my sister got HIT BY A CAR! literally. 

We were at Bunny and Dale's house, friends of my parents. It was across the street from the catholic church POP. Lori and I were playing in the driveway and she decided to cross the street to check the mail. I'm pretty sure it was dark outside. I don't remember seeing her get hit, but i was the only one outside with her. I do remember the ambulance and riding in the car behind the ambulance on the way to the emergency room and the feeling of uncertainty. As a child i had very little to worry about. I think this was probably the first time i ever had real fear. I was probably the one to run inside and tell mom and dad what had happened.

Luckily, my sister was nearly unscathed, aside from a few bandages. Not a broken bone, and off to Disney we went! Disney was this magical place. I loved the dumbo ride. Space mountain, not so much. I was only four years old, though my fifth birthday was three months later. My dad rode behind me in SM. during the ride, his pen fell out of his pocket and down my shirt. I felt his pen fall inside my shirt and i caught it under my armpit. I held onto that pen for dear life, it was probably the only thing helping me endure the ride. It was a bit intense. When we got off the ride, i was SO PROUD to hand my daddy his pen back and let him know that i saved it for him that whole ride. The last day at Disney, Lori wanted to ride SM again, she was 6 and it was less scary for her. I said no, and mom and i went to ride the elephants again. I liked being able to push the button and make them go up and down. I liked the feeling of being in control! SM was just dark and scary. 
This image is about as accurate as i remember it from my first experience.
The other thing i remember about going to Disney is that every morning when we left our hotel room i would peek inside the neighbors room. I guess it was a motel, but mom and dad made me wear a blanket on my head b/c i kept staring inside the window. Its not like i had my face on the glass, and maybe there was something they didn't want me to see, but my curiosity got the best of me and it was just too hard to look straight ahead when there was so much more going on to the right of me. Isn't that an odd thing to remember? I remember playing with the water in Epcot and the Imagination place with Figment. And of course, back at the Magic Kingdom - Small World. The ride is pretty much still the same now as it was then and i absolutely LOVE it! I really cannot wait to take my children to Disney world. Once they are all potty trained!

We kept the brochure/map of Disney in our family room drawer for many years to come, and i would often pull the map out while we watched TV as a family, and daydream. Even riding the monorail was a memorable event. If you ever ask yourself whether or not you should take your kids to Disney, the answer is YES. The memories you create are worth every penny! Just don't go in the summer it is WAY too hot!

Almost EXACTLY 20 years later in May 2004  i went back to Disney world and rode Space Mountain again. It wasn't nearly as scary as it was the first time I had ridden it, but it was just as thrilling! A lot had changed at Disney world, but it felt like nothing had changed. It was just as magical as I had remembered it. I find myself daydreaming of Disney World now!  

Mom and Dad, thank you so much for taking my sister and me to Disney World !  We loved it! Lets go again in a few years with all the kids!   Happy Friday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. This is so fun! I remember going to Disney World when I was six, and I haven't been back since. :( I'm sure it has changed a lot since then. We took a home video, and I remember watching it over and over when we got home. It's been lost for years and that makes me so sad! I loved the light parade and the Magic Kingdom. Epcot didn't impress me much then, but I think I would enjoy it now.

    ReplyDelete