28 June 2011

34 weeks....


SIZE of Miss Beeman:

What did one melon say when the other melon proposed?
We're too young, we can't elope.

My baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. Her fat layers — which will help regulate her body temperature once she's born — are filling her out, making her rounder. Her skin is also smoother than ever. Her central nervous system is maturing and her lungs are continuing to mature as well. Babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.

Biggest challenges:  
Not only are my feet swollen, but also my legs. I have cankles. And my left side is worse than the right> i also have pitting edema, which is where i can press in on my foot and remove my finger but the marks will remain for quite some time. As i walk around i can actually FEEL the water in my feet. If i stomp my foot i feel it shake. yeah. Not so fun. Why am i retaining all this water? i am drinking TONS of water and resting as much as possible. My lower legs and feet are sort of like playdoh. I can mold the skin from all the fluid sitting beneath. Another awesome thing i have going on is that I now have carpal tunnel in both my wrists, my right being worse than my left. I saw the doc and he put me in a wrist brace. I slept much better and did NOT wake up in the middle of the night due to throbbing pain! Rick is happy about that because I have woken up crying from the pain and made him wake up to comfort me the past few nights and last night I only got up once, at a much later time, to use the restroom!

Cravings:
Childbirth and relief!

Gender: 
A little girl!

Movement: 
she is still super active. I'm not very comfortable but i'll survive. I hope. She has gotten longer and i feel her in my ribs almost constantly. If she is a small baby at birth I will be shocked.

Sleep:
Last night was better. I hope this continues.

What I Miss
 Comfort. My shoes. Being able to exercise and play outside. Traveling. 

What i LOVE
Another baby shower and such wonderful presents. I plan to write all about them AFTER i write and send out all my thank you notes! 

Emotions
I am frustrated that i'm so swollen right now. I am tired. I just can't wait for this to be over with. I presently am NOT looking forward to doing this again.

Milestone
I think we have come to terms with our home and what steps we will take next towards getting into a new home. The market is so slow due to it being a Buyers Market. Several people have LOVED our home but still, no offers. We have a few more weeks to try to sell our home. We have completed our birthing classes and i feel somewhat confident.  

4 comments:

  1. The only thing I ever did that helped with the swelling was to lay down the ENTIRE day with my feet propped up (and laptop balanced on the belly, so I could work). Do you remember how you used to be able to wiggle your toes and see the tendons on the top of your foot? After 8-10 hours with my feet elevated I could see those tendons a little bit again!
    Lost *all* the water within the first 48 hours after having JD. Seemed like I peed constantly. So... the end is in sight! Although my feet never did go back to the same size... sandals were fine but tight-fitting shoes (tennis shoes, heels) were all a lost cause.
    Best of luck for your last few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I called the doctor and she said exactly that - i needed to go home from work and just lie down on my side all day. She said elevating them cuts the circulation at the groin so i'm better off flat. to keep drinking water and to call her in the morning and let her know if that helped.
    my tennis shoes (that i bought a month ago a half size larger) are loosely laced but offer great support.
    just trying to hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're getting so close now! My granddaughters were born just a few days older than Sloane is now - at 34 6/7.

    I'm glad you have relief with that brace. That sounds horrible.

    Hang in there! (I'm sure you are sick of hearing that.) You're going to be holding your beautiful little girl so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Sorry for not commenting earlier. I kinda live near NC State and all that. I go out sometimes to the bar but usually low key since I don't have many friends around here.

    I hope the baby thing is going well :) I'm sure you'll be a terrific mother!!!

    ReplyDelete