28 November 2010

Dangers of Misinterpretation

Have you noticed how this generation has a little trouble communicating?

Sending a text message rather than picking up the phone to call.
Its convenient when its a quick question that you would rather not take the time to make a call, or interrupt the person, but has it gone too far?

Email and text messaging has become the preferred method of communication, but its not just this new generation that is following the trend. I find that even my generation has followed suit and involve themselves in the back and forth of email or text messaging as they are incapable of communicating like civilized adults. Conversations that could be worked out in minutes through the flow of conversation takes hours, or even days due to misinterpretation and a lapse in time.

Hiding behind text invites a lot of room for communication failure.

Unless you are asking a simple question
"Are you almost here"
"where did you put the ___"


I find text and email too ambiguous. It invites a tone that just might not be there, and who is to say the person "hiding behind the message" is really the person they claim to be...

It is so easy to access someone's email account, grab someone else's cell phone, or invite another person to do your bidding of words.

I find that my "real" grown up friends will pick up the phone and make the call. So I can hear their voice, their tone, and their exact words. And I can ask immediately of the meaning if it is unclear. What is the danger of communicating this way? What are we afraid of? Are we just that lazy that we refuse to answer the phone or communicate openly without room for self interpretation? 

We are entering dangerous grounds allowing our children to hide behind their text messaging. They are failing to develop essential skills necessary for advancing in a hands on world, where, no matter how tech-savvy our world becomes, it still requires the basic competence of talking on the phone, and ultimately, face to face. 

Are we really going to let our fingers do all the talking for us?
Post Script:
To add to this, I myself find that I am too quick to send a text or email rather than use my own voice, but when it comes down to it, I will face anyone and anything. I find that being direct is the best approach and should always be your first solution before using alternative measures. in the end, your efforts will not go unnoticed. At least you can say you tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment