09 March 2010

Keeping it to myself

There have been many times in my life that i have shared information that people would prefer i kept to myself. Once its out there, its out there. Once you hit send on that email, you can't hit unsend. Its funny, the other day i saw an email and it was sent twice. The funny thing is that the second email had removed a vital sentence. I don't think the sender realized that they sent two copies. I think the "edited" message was perceived as the only copy sent. It wasn't. Then again, there are also times that i withhold information that people really want to know.  I'm not always at liberty to share everything.... Trust me, if i could i would... My mother will attest to that. I'm the most honest open book you'll meet. Its virtue to a flaw. I'd rather be flawed virtuously than pathological. I know crazy. Its not me.

The thing is, plans don't always work out as intended. When we establish plans and then they fall through, we disappoint ourselves b/c we are so built up on our plans. We disappoint others who have put faith in us that our plans would work out. And we are disappointed by those who didn't follow through with keeping their word in the first place.

I have always been taught, by a very godly man, that when you say you are going to do something. You do it. Let your yes mean yes, and your no mean no. Period. That is it. If you tell someone you are going to do something, then follow through. If you ask someone to make plans with you, unless something earth shattering happens, you keep those plans. Period.

Here is an example. When i was a kid i was invited to a birthday party. So i said yes.  A few weeks later, a mere day before the party, I was invited to go to an amusement park. Well guess what? I decided I wasn't going to the party anymore, because I was going to the park. (no brainer). Unfortunately, because my parents have such a high moral conscience and set standards, I had two choices. I could stay home, or I could attend the previously committed to party. I was not allowed to bail just because a better option came along.  Looking back. I think this instilled a great sense of morality within me.

My point tonight is that, the grass is always greener, until you get there. Then you realize you had really good grass in your own lawn, but you've already left, so now you're stuck with the new lawn and eventually the lawn you left finds a new gardener and you're stuck with the lame grass you left the old lawn for. Then the new grass fades, dies even, and you're stuck looking at other grass again. This is cyclical. You are one type of person or the other. You are faithful and you stick with your grass no matter what, or you are unfaithful, and you are ALWAYS looking for greener pastures. The sad truth is, there is no such thing as a greener pasture. It is what you make of it. If you tend to your garden, it will be fruitful. If you are so busy shopping around for a new garden and/or telling your garden how inadequate and stupid it is, it is going to die and you will feel like your only option is to move to a new garden. The trouble does not lie within the garden. Its the gardener. Its YOU. Your grass dies because you fail to tend to it. As Smokey the bear says, Only you can prevent forest fires. I think i made my point.

1 comment:

  1. that was really good...........I get it totally and it was written eloquently.....right on sista........I'm glad for your insight and gardening technique
    Hayward here

    ReplyDelete